On Saturday, Mark and John took to Facebook live with a flipchart and boundless enthusiasm, to share every tip they could think of that would help you prepare for #runinthedark.
Between them, they’ve completed over 50 endurance events on every continent in the world! And, drawing on that experience, they came up with this impressive list of training tips:
- Don’t try to do everything at once. Build up your training
- Take the easy days easy, and push yourself on the hard days
- Warm up, especially on cold days. Walking is a good warm up/cool down
- Follow a plan. Try our 8-week training plan here
- If you miss a session, go back to the training plan and adjust your upcoming sessions
- Reclaim the hour. Run to/from work or run during your lunch hour. John calls this run-mute and run-ch!
- Recover & rest. Sleep is really important – if you’re staying up late watching tv, ask yourself, would you get up an hour early to watch it?
- Avoid injury - Don’t train with pain
- Find a training partner. You’re less likely to miss a training session if you’ve arranged to meet someone
- On run day, eat a good sized-lunch but nothing too heavy. Have a snack in the afternoon. John drinks chocolate milk post-run
These are only the summary points, though. If you want to hear the full, in-depth discussion, you can watch it now on Facebook.
And if you really like it... tag a friend who could use a few pointers!