Who says a healthy diet can’t include chocolate? Our running coach John O’Regan is a big fan of protein rich chocolate milk for recovery. Like John, we all like a sweet treat now and again, but there’s no reason it can’t be packed full of nutrients. Using raw cacao is a great way to get your sweet fix while also benefiting from its high levels of magnesium, iron and calcium.
Run in the Dark’s nutrition partner Tina has whipped up these raw cacao snickers bites which will satisfy any chocolate lover’s appetite while still fuelling their training. They’re super quick to make and there isn’t even any baking involved!
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or caramel extract
- 8 dates
- 1 tsp chia seeds or flaxseed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tbsp of tahini paste
- Optional: hazelnuts or walnuts
- Put your dates into some shallow water in a saucepan and allow to boil (this will soften the dates)
- Blitz the dates in a food processor or hand blender
- Add in all other ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Roll in dough balls (the mixture will be doughy enough to roll into shape)
- Put in the fridge for 1 hour to set
Need some motivation to keep fit this winter? Then why not join us for Run in the Dark! Every November, as darkness sweeps the globe, thousands of people in 50 cities will pull on their running shoes and red flashing armbands and hit the streets to Run in the Dark. As runners flow through the streets and light up the night, they join the global movement helping to cure paralysis in our lifetime. Join us for a 5k or 10k run in one of our official locations – Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London. Or, join a pop-up event, run by volunteers, in cities worldwide from Madrid to Melbourne.