Avocados provide healthy monounsaturated fats, along with runner-friendly nutrients such as potassium and Vitamin E. They contain 35% more potassium than a banana. Potassium is important for runners since it aids in regulating heart and muscle contraction. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant and helps mop up the free radicals produced by running.
Raw Cacao (available in most healthfood shops) is also packed with health benefits. It's high in magnesium - another essential mineral for runners, as it aids bone strength, prevents muscle cramps and improves heart health.
So combining these two running food powerhouses together in cookie form can only be nutritional genius! Get baking and happy dunking!
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup spelt flour
- Tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup palm sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts/seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- In a large bowl add all dry ingredients
- In another bowl mash avocado, honey/palm sugar and vanilla extract - mix well
- Add dry mix to wet mix and stir more
- Add the coconut oil and mix all ingredients well
- Roll into a dough and shape into cookies
- Bake for 30 to 35 mins at 180c