Date: Wednesday November 16th
Donegal is delighted to announce the return of Run In The Dark for 2016.
It will again be championed by Sonia McGarvey, mother of Noirin who sustained a spinal cord injury at the age of 4.
The inspiration comes from watching Mark Pollock’s documentary ‘Unbreakable’ and the similarities struck a cord- the grueling rehabilitation, learning to live with a spinal cord injury and searching for the cure.
About Run In The Dark
As darkness falls on Wednesday the 16th of November 2016 and as people settle down in front of their televisions, thousands of others will pull on their running shoes and red flashing armbands and head for the door. In over 50 cities worldwide they will be part of a living light show flowing through the streets like lava. There are 5 official locations – Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London and Manchester and pop-up events led by volunteers in cities worldwide. And as 8pm sweeps around the globe, like watching New Year’s Eve, 5 km and 10 km runs will unite a community of people helping to fast-track a cure for paralysis.
Check out how your participation in Run In The Dark will help by listening to our short radio documentary about the story and science behind the Trust’s mission to fast track a cure for paralysis.
We are priviledged that Glenveagh National Park has been kind enough to offer this wonderful venue again for the event.
Glenveagh National Park is situated on the R251 (Errigal road) between Kilmacrennan and Gweedore. This sublime landscape offers a taste of a remote and peaceful Irish wilderness and offers a true experience of running/walking in the dark.
It is a 5k Lakeside Walk that brings the walkers and runners through the glen from Glenveagh castle and gardens to the visitors centre. The walk begins at the stunning glenveagh castle, continues along the shores of lough veagh and ends at the bus shelter close to the visitors centre and carpark.
Transport will be provided from the bus shelter next to the carpark from 6.45 with the last bus leaving at 7.30 to ensure an 8pm start.
We urge people to come early and if possible jog/walk up to castle so as to reduce the numbers requiring transport.
All participants will start at the castle and take the bus route, which is smooth tarmac. As this path is not a full 5k participants will turn off onto a gravel path that takes you over bridges and into woodland before reaching the bus shelter and loop back to the turn off again and return to the bus shelter via the gravel route a second time. Before ending at the bus shelter. There is the option for those with children to finish when passing the bus shelter the first time- a distance of 3.4 K. Wheelchair users can remain on the tarmac path but once again it will not be the full 5K. However the gravel path is accessible but more of a challenge. There will be a small supply of hand-cycles available on the night. Please contact organizer to book.
There will be lead walkers and ones following behind to ensure safety at all times.
There will be traditional music in the orangery at the castle before the race commences and refreshments to include mulled wine and minced pies will be served after the run/walk at the visitors centre.
Your FAQs answered:
- There are 200 places available for this year’s Run In The Dark Donegal.
- All registration will take place online.
- Your entry fee of €25 will be donated to the Mark Pollock Trust mission to find and connect people worldwide to fast-track a cure for paralysis.
- There is a family ticket for this event – to register for a family ticket choose Family Entry. After registering your family you will be sent a discount code which you will use to Claim A Family Place. You will need to register all of your family members for insurance purposes so it is necessary to use the Claim A Family Place section when you have registered using Family Entry.
- You will receive a run entry, Run in the Dark buff and flashing armband.
- Chip-timing is not in operation for our pop-up events.
- Head torches or hand-held torches are essential as there will be minimal lighting present on the night with some places completely unlit.
- It is important that you arrive at the latest 45 minutes in advance of the start time (8pm) so that you can receive your buff and flashing armband and get to the castle for an 8pm start.
- A group photo will be taken at the castle with all participants in advance of the run.
DONEGAL 5KM Route For Runners